50 Inspirational Marriage Quotes
Read these 50 inspirational marriage quotes to foster a long and happy marriage, or author a meaningful and genuine wedding speech, toast, or card.
The short and sweet marriage quotes are positive and not pessimistic, meaningful and not sappy, and encouraging, not sarcastic.
Additionally, we have only listed marriage quotes that are non-religious and non-gender specific. Enjoy!
50 inspirational marriage quotes
For better or for worse. For richer or poorer. The traditional vows given at a wedding ceremony are deeply meaningful and solemn. But there are many other quotes on marriage and love that you can incorporate into your vow or wedding speech.
We did a round-up the fifty best marriage quotes about love and relationships. These are perfect for a wedding speech or wedding toast, along with well-wishes for the couple or in an anniversary card.
Additionally, just as these movies can improve your marriage, so can these positive marriage quotes. We recommend reading them together as a couple and discussing your favorites.
Truthfully, during our search far too many quotes on love are cynical or pessimistic. Having been married ourselves since 2017, we found the quotes that resonated most with us and spread positivity, guidance, and insight.
We incorporated quotes from proverbs from around the world, a few from our favorite singers and movies, and from the writings of influential poets and authors like Shakespeare, Poe, and Bronte.
Short Marriage Quotes About Love
1. “Love is like a friendship caught on fire.” — Bruce Lee
2. “We loved with a love that was more than love.” — Edgar Allan Poe
3. “There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.” — Fredrich Nietzche
4. “It is love that makes the impossible, possible.” — Indian Proverb
5. “To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.” — Lao Tzu
6. “Love is a fire that feeds our life.” — Pablo Neruda
7. “Let your love be like the misty rain, coming softly but flooding the river.” — Liberian Proverb
8. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” — Dr. Seuss
9. “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach.” — Elizabeth Barrett Browning
10. “Love doesn’t make the world go ’round; love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” — Franklin P. Jones
11. “One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life. That word is love.” — Sophocles
12. “There is only one happiness in life: to love and be loved.” — George Sand
13. “No one has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.” — Zelda Fitzgerald
14. “The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.” — Mother Teresa
15. “There is no remedy for love but to love more.” — Henry David Thoreau
Quotes About Marriage
16. “A happy marriage is a long conversation that always seems too short.” — Andres Marois
17. “Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story.” — Jennifer Smith
18. “Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.” — Simon Signoret
19. “Marriage is like a golden ring in a chain, whose beginning is a glance and whose ending is eternity.” — Kahlil Gibran
20. “The sum which two married people owe to one another defies calculation. It is an infinite debt, which can only be discharged through eternity.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
21. “Marriage is our last, best chance to grow up.” — Joseph Barth
22. “Love is a flower which turns into fruit at marriage.” — Finnish Proverb
23. “Once upon a time, I became yours, and you became mine. And we’ll stay together through the tears and the laughter because that’s what they call happily-ever-after.” — Kathy R. Jeffords
Advice On Marriage Quotes
24. “Be presidents of each other’s fan clubs.” — Tony Heath
25. “A great marriage isn’t something that just happens; it’s something that must be created.” — Fawn Weaver
26. “Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate.” — Barnett R. Brickner
27. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” — Mignon McLaughlin
28. “The love we give is the only love we keep.” — Elbert Hubbard
29. “Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupery
30. “Fortune and love favor the brave.” — Ovid
31. “Time is very slow for those who wait. Very fast for those who are scared. Very long for those who lament. Very short for those who celebrate. But for those who love, time is eternal.” — William Shakespeare
32. “To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return. To just give; that takes courage.” — Madonna
33. “The more you invest in a marriage, the more valuable it becomes.” — Amy Grant
Marriage Is Hard Quotes
34. “Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new.” — Ursula K. Le Guin, The Lathe of Heaven
35. “Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.” — Henry Ford
36. “Forgiveness is the final form of love.” — Reinhold Niebuhr
37. “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain!” — Dolly Parton
38. “Don’t wish it were easier, wish you were better.” — Jim Rohn
39. “What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility.” — George Levinger
40. “The great secret of successful marriage is to treat all disasters as incidents and none of the incidents as disasters.” — Harold George Nicolson
Romantic Marriage Quotes
41. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you… I could walk through my garden forever.” — Alfred Tennyson
42. “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” — Emily Bronte
43. “Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.” — Rumi
44. “At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.” — Plato
45. “When you trip over love, it is easy to get up. But when you fall in love, it is impossible to stand again.” — Albert Einstein
46. “We never live so intensely as when we love strongly. We never realize ourselves so vividly as when we are in full glow of love for others.” — Walter Rauschenbusch
47. “In a great romance, each person plays a part the other really likes.” — Elizabeth Ashley
Marriage Quotes From Movies
48. “You need to be kissed. Often. And by someone who knows how.” — Gone With the Wind
49. “People do fall in love. People do belong to each other, because that’s the only chance that anyone’s got for true happiness.” — Breakfast at Tiffany’s
50. “It was a million tiny things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together, and I knew it. I knew it the first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I’d ever known.” — Sleepless in Seattle
Which quotes impacted you? Inspiration, advice, empowerment, and guidance come in many forms. Comment below with the quotes you love and we’ll add them to the list!
At-Home Marriage Retreat Agenda
Download and print our DIY couple's retreat itinerary and preparation checklist.
Our couple's therapy ideas bring in practical science along with mental health, nutrition, fitness, and reconnecting relationship activities. Plus, we're just an email away for questions or support.
Just Duo It
Our flagship program. Transform your mind, body, and marriage using small, systematic steps. These tried-and-true techniques have been taken from our research and personal experiments to reconnect, get healthier, and add spontaneity into your relationship.
- "Daily Duoables" to keep progress simple and easy
- Access to our exclusive Duo Life Community app to stay accountable for your fitness and nutrition
- Monthly guides to put it all together
We're willing to commit a year on you, are you ready to commit a year on you? Made for couples by couples.
Hey we're Ryan and Alex
The creators of Ryan and Alex Duo Life. We are a husband-wife duo and “lifestyle engineers.”
After eight years working in the corporate world as engineers, we left our high-powered jobs to tackle our true passion — helping couples engineer their best lives.
The synergy of our engineering minds and ten years of health coaching experience produced Ryan and Alex Duo Life. Our mission is to help you transform your bodies, minds, and relationship as a couple.
Join our 120,000 monthly readers