Southwest Quinoa Black Bean Salad
This SOUTHWEST QUINOA BLACK BEAN SALAD is one of our favorite dinners to meal prep for the week. Easy to make in bulk and store, this salad is loaded with healthy vegetables and grains and packed with flavor. Served cold as the main course or as a side, this one won’t disappoint!
This is a great meal prep recipe with 12 servings. Cook time is approximately 40 minutes. You can also add diced chicken or avocado.
southwest quinoa black bean salad
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 cups dry quinoa
1 Tbsp. Himalayan sea salt
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cans black beans (15 ounces each)
1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 medium orange bell pepper, finely chopped
4 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 medium yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
1 bag frozen corn, thawed (10 ounce bag)
4 cups water
1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
ground black pepper to taste
fresh jalapeños to taste (be careful, wear gloves and wash your hands thoroughly)
- Combine the lime juice, cumin, and salt in a medium bowl; blend it up with a whisk.
- Add the oil while whisking constantly. Set it aside for now.
- Combine the beans, vinegar, and pepper in a medium bowl; mix it well and set it aside.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large sauce pan over high heat.
- Add the quinoa. Reduce hear to medium-low and cook, covered, for 10-12 minutes (iPhone users, hold the button and say “Siri, start a timer for 10 minutes.”), or until all water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and let it cool for 15-30 minutes. Set it aside for now.
- Now that you have some free time go workout. This is perfect for a 10 minute ab workouts or a 20-30 minute cardio or or yoga session. Email me at [email protected] if you need some ideas.
- Place cooled quinoa in a large bowl and fluff with a fork or whisk.
- Add bell peppers, corn, cilantro, bean mixture, and dressing, then mix it all up
We think it is most flavorful to eat right away because the cilantro is fresh and the lime juice isn’t all absorbed. That being said, it holds well in the fridge for a few days. We made the full recipe, which serves 12, and that was a bit too much. Next time we will cut the amount of quinoa in half!