How Do You Make Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower rice is a healthy substitute for traditional rice, replacing simple carbs with nutritious cauliflower. But how do you make cauliflower rice and, more importantly, how to make cauliflower rice taste good?
Cauliflower rice is chock full of Vitamin C and Vitamin K. It will save you hundreds of calories weekly and make you feel full and satiated.
Here is a simple method we follow to make cauliflower rice. We’ll show you how to make cauliflower rice with or without a food processor. We use a variety of seasoning for cauliflower rice.
So, let’s talk about great tasting cauliflower rice.
how do you make cauliflower rice
We are always looking for new ways to incorporate vegetables into our diet. It all started when we learned how to make zoodles. We were especially excited about trying cauliflower rice with some of our favorite Asian dishes.
We enjoy zoodles and spaghetti squash, but cauliflower rice is hands down my favorite.
One night, we were out at the bars in Fort Worth, Texas. We had been drinking and had the drunk munchies. There was amazing late night taco joints nearby, but, we decided to go home and heat up our left over cauliflower rice.
That’s how much we love it. When we told our friends this story, they asked “how do you make cauliflower rice taste good?” And so, we had the inspiration for this post.
These are the ingredients that we use to make our cauliflower rice taste good. We prefer to make cauliflower rice stir fries. It’s important to note that recipes are just guidelines. Use your creativity in the kitchen and it’s essential to taste your food as you cook.
Tasting your recipe while you cook is critical to learn how to make cauliflower rice that tastes good. Why? Depending on many things, such as your taste preference and the brand of an ingredient you use, no one recipe is going to be perfect.
Only you can create the perfect recipe by tasting it frequently while you cook. For reference, we have linked to our preferred ingredient brands in the below list.
- Fresh cauliflower (large, ~ 8in. across) or…
- Frozen cauliflower (1 pound)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil or…
- 1/2 Tbsp Sesame oil
- Soy sauce to taste (~ 2 Tbsp)
We use the following seasoning for cauliflower rice. Again, the best way to cook is to not measure this ingredients. Instead, add them slowly, taste the recipe, and add more if needed.
- Sal de Maras salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped garlic to taste (~ 1-2 cloves crushed and diced finely)
- Fresh green onion to taste (~ 1/4 cup, white for flavor, green for color)
- Fresh chopped ginger root (~ thimble sized piece grated finely)
Now that we have our ingredients and seasoning for cauliflower rice, let’s talk tools.
You can make cauliflower rice with or without a food processor. Before we bought our food processor, we used this box grater to make cauliflower rice. The food processor helps but still makes a mess.
Our recommendation is to buy fresh (preferred) or frozen cauliflower rice already chopped. This will save you some hassle.
Next, let’s dive into the instructions on how to make cauliflower rice.
How do you make cauliflower rice? This is our best tasting recipe for cauliflower rice stir fry. We will assume that you have to start with non-pulverized cauliflower.
1. Cut the florets into smaller pieces and wash and dry thoroughly. If they are wet still your cauliflower rice will be soggy and not taste good. Dry thoroughly.
2. With the box grater or food processor, pulverize the cauliflower until it is the same size as rice. You can also cut the florets by hand, it just takes longer and leaves you with larger chunks.
3. Transfer to a clean towel or paper towel and press to remove any excess moisture, which can make your rice soggy.
4. While you are preparing your rice, have the coconut oil or sesame oil (or both) heating up in a frying pan on medium heat.
5. Once the oil is hot, add the ginger, garlic, and cauliflower. Sauté the cauliflower rice in the coconut oil and then cover with a lid so the cauliflower steams and softens. Cook for a total of 5-8 minutes. Then, season as desired.
6. Add soy sauce, salt, green onion, and black pepper for that awesome fried rice flavor we all know and love so much. Remember, this is when you should be tasting your cauliflower rice frequently to perfect the taste.
7. Use the cauliflower rice for any dish that calls for rice. Our favorite is garlic shrimp and vegetable stir-fry.
Once you realize how easy and delicious this is, you’re going to get hooked. If you’re like us, you might get curious and think, “What else do I have in the fridge that I can add to the rice for some extra flavor and nutrition?”
Our favorite variation is adding fennel. Mushrooms are also a great addition to make your cauliflower rice taste better. If you don’t like soy sauce, balsamic vinegar is a tasty base for your cauliflower rice stir fry.
We have also tried cauliflower mash. Delicious and we highly recommend it. However, we don’t recommend making cauliflower crust pizza on your own. We have tried a couple of times and it’s tough. Getting all the moisture out of the cauliflower is really hard. If you want to make cauliflower crust pizza, but the crust pre-made.
Enjoy and please let us know in the comments how you made this recipe your own!
The Ultimate Healthy Food Guide And Shopping List (PDF)
Do you ever wonder which foods have the highest nutritional quality or "bang for their buck?" Check out our guide and prepare for success before your next grocery store visit. We list our pantry staples, and healthy foods in order of the highest nutrition value.
Weekly Meal Prep Calendar & Grocery List
Those who placed their bet with Couple's Clean Week have spoken: We want a week-long meal prep calendar, healthy recipes to prepare, and a grocery list for two for the full week.
This downloadable meal prep calendar includes everything you need for a week of healthy eating.
As Seen In
Hey we're Ryan and Alex
The creators of Ryan and Alex Duo Life. We are a husband-wife duo and “lifestyle engineers.”
After eight years working in the corporate world, originally as engineers, we left our high-powered jobs to tackle our true passion — helping couples engineer their best lives.
The synergy of our engineering minds and ten years of health coaching experience produced Ryan and Alex Duo Life. Our mission is to help you transform your bodies, minds, and relationship, as a couple.