At-Home Self-Care Retreat
Spending one day to love yourself and reset gives you a well-needed opportunity for self-care. We’ve all heard about trendy retreats for silence, meditation, and wellness… but before you shell out the big bucks, try our free At-Home Self-Care Retreat! Follow our hour by hour self-love retreat plan below.
at-home self-care retreat
Why Are Self-Care Retreats Important?
While spending a day just on yourself seems easy enough, the challenging part is truly scheduling it in. Marking time off the calendar to only focus on self-care is harder than it sounds! That’s why we created a full day self-care retreat plan to help you block out the day with no distractions. Within this structure, you’ll give your body and mind time to renew itself, set intentions for the season, become more mindful with your body’s needs, detox your body and mind, and get inspired.
Retreats are incredibly important, no matter when, where, or why you do them. The “why” is the keyword here because an at-home DIY self-care retreat gives you the freedom to customize your schedule and build in the activities you need to feel rejuvenated. We suggest giving yourself a break by following our self-love retreat plan once a season and keep your notes from each retreat. That way, you can slowly build a program or a yearly theme into your self-guided retreat.
A Little Preparation Goes A Long Way
This free, 1-day self-love retreat plan was designed as a mental detox and mindfulness retreat. Follow the retreat plan alone or with your significant other, just remember to set boundaries and expectations of the at-home wellness retreat with yourself and your partner. We recommend that you make a plan beforehand by customizing and writing out your schedule in advance (because no electronics are allowed!) Also, decide what healthy meals you’ll be eating and have the groceries already in the fridge. Plus, lay out what books or journals you want to read or write in. Taking the night before to prepare will help the day run smoothly. We also recommend not drinking alcohol the night before to allow yourself a full night of restful sleep because we don’t want you waking up to an alarm clock (BONUS!)
If others in your household aren’t participating in your at-home self-care retreat, ask them to make other plans and not to disturb you in a specific part of the house, like the bedroom. For us, there’s no better reason to have the kids at a sleepover or to hire a babysitter for the day. That’s money very well-spent!
Finally, the DIY self-care retreat is designed so it can be tailored to your needs. As we mention above, we want you to wake up without an alarm clock. This, we realize, can throw your tightly scheduled calendar for a loop but that’s the point. Keep it easy and keep it flexible. Remember that the goal is for you to feel restful, relaxed, and renewed by the following day.
The Detox Plan
Firstly, the self-love retreat plan is highly focused on sleep. Sleep debt numbers are higher than ever and getting a good night’s sleep is a priority. Plus, any diets or exercise that you try won’t be as effective without sleep. You can read our personal story about the importance of sleep if you need any more convincing.
Secondly, note that this DIY self-care retreat includes three healthy meals within an 8-hour window. This is a typical intermittent fasting (IF) window, which will help boost energy levels.
Thirdly, there are two short workouts included: 30-minutes of restorative yoga and 30-minutes of active stretching. These workouts are available for free with a free trial to Beachbody On Demand. Whatever you do, don’t skip these and follow the instructors. They were hand-selected for our self-care retreat plan because of the methods they use to focus on recovery.
Finally, we’ve recommended “inspirational reading” to allow self-growth. Any personal development book will do, and we give a suggestion below. While you can choose any book on your reading list, we recommend that you take this opportunity to select a self-help or personal development book. These can range from mindfulness to minimalism to nutrition. More of our favorites are listed in our article ‘Why Self-Help Books Don’t Work.’ Don’t worry, the title is misleading!
The Schedule for Your At-Home Self-Care Retreat
- 7:30 – 9:00 AM Wake up without an alarm and lounge in bed (turn off your phone the night before and continue to keep it off all day). Have a book by the bedside table in case you wake up before 9:00 AM
- 9:00 – 9:45 AM Restorative yoga (try Beachbody On Demand Yoga Studio: 3 Week Yoga Retreat, Day 3: Balance, 28 minutes)
- 9:45 – 10:00 AM Make a digestive pre-breakfast infusion (our favorite is with hot water, a capful of apple cider vinegar, a lemon slice, and a dash of cinnamon)
- 10:00 – 10:30 AM Sitting meditation and setting your daily intention
- 10:30 – 11:15 AM Cook a healthy breakfast (try oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon, and a banana with a cup of coffee and almond milk)
- 11:15 – 12:30 PM Inspirational reading (try Declutter Your Mind: How to Stop Worrying, Relieve Anxiety, and Eliminate Negative Thinking)
- 12:30 – 1:30 PM Walking, hiking, or jogging meditation outside (yes, rain or shine!)
- 1:30 – 2:30 PM Lunch (try a simple tofu stir fry with green beans, carrots, and broccoli over brown rice)
- 2:30 – 3:30 PM Journaling, writing, or another creative hobby like painting
- 3:30 – 5:15 PM Inspirational reading
- 5:15 – 6:00 PM Light stretching (try Beachbody On Demand: Clean Week Active Flex, 30 minutes)
- 6:00 – 7:00 PM Dinner (try a spinach salad with strawberries, goat cheese, walnuts, and balsamic dressing with fresh sourdough bread)
- 7:30 – 8:30 PM Hot bath and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate with cucumber water. Save some cool cucumbers for your eyes as well!
- 8:30 – 9:00 PM Spend time pampering yourself and relaxing with a face mask while tidying and “closing down” before bed
- 9:00 – 9:30 PM Silent meditation focused on what you are grateful for. Finish with a journal entry about what you liked about the day and ideas for a future DIY personal retreat
- 9:30 PM Sleep
An at-home self-care retreat is a wonderful way to hit the pause button to reflect on your year so far and how you want to transform the rest of it. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below and how you customized this 1-day self-love retreat plan!